WHAT WE KNOW AFTER THE PANDEMIC. ONLINE AND FACE-TO-FACE TESTING IN COMPARATIVE PERSPECTIVE
Keywords:pandemic, e-test, Moodle, formative assessment, summative assessment, online, on-site
The article aims to find out the impact of online education on on-site education by analysing the results achieved by the respondents in the tests. We used descriptive statistical methods to analyze the data. The reason was that such methods allow us to better understand the correlation between the results obtained in traditional testing and online testing. The research was conducted in the summer semester of the academic years 2020/2021 and 2021/2022. 2508 students of the University of Economics in Bratislava participated in the research. The respondents were first-year Bachelor's degree students at the University of Economics in Bratislava whose first foreign language was professional English. When analyzing the data we took into account the test results, the number of students who did not take the test, the number of students who had to retake the test, and the number of students who did not take the test. The results confirmed that students who took the test in the home environment performed significantly better than students who took the test in person at the university. The results of on-site education were influenced by the online learning process. As students adapted to the online environment, they changed their study habits, which had a negative impact on learning. This negative impact was also reflected in the results of the on-site testing. The solution to this situation is to better prepare teachers for online learning and to ensure that schools are equipped with the latest technology.
- Almossa, S. Y. & Alzahrani, S. M. (2022). Assessment practices in Saudi higher education during the COVID-19 pandemic. Humanities and Social Sciences Communications, 9(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-021-01025-z
- Alghamdi, M.Y. (2023). An Exploration of Students and Lecturers’ Insights of Online University Learning Implemented During the COVID-19 Contagion. In Arai, K. (Ed.), Intelligent Systems and Applications. IntelliSys 2022. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol 542. Cham: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-16072-1_31
- Ali, H. A., Mohamed, C., Abdelhamid, B., Ourdani, N. & Alami, T. E. (2022). A Novel Hybrid Classification Approach for Predict Performance Student in E-learning. Lecture Notes on Data Engineering and Communications Technologies, 147, 45-52. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-15191-0_5
- Abudalfa, S. & Salem, M. (2022). Effects of Online Course Content, and Instructor Characteristics on UCAS Students’ Academic Performance During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, 495, 264-272. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-08954-1_24
- Anziani, H., Durham, J. & Moore, U. (2008). The relationship between formative and summative assessment of undergraduates in oral surgery. Eur J Dent Educ, 12(4), 233–238. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0579.2008.00524.x
- Amer, A. & Abu Jaber, S. (2012). Moodle-Based Preparation for English Meitsav Standardized Tests in Arab Elementary and Junior High Schools in Israel. In 4th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies. EDULEARN Proceedings (pp. 5383).
- Arquero, J. L. & Romero-Frías, E. (2013). Using social network sites in higher education: An experience in business studies. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 50, 238-249. https://doi.org/10.1080/14703297.2012.760772
- Bachman, L. F. (1997). Fundamental Consideration in Language Test. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bath, B. A. & Bath, J. (2019). Formative and Summative Evaluation Techniques for Improvement of Learning Process. European Journal of Business & Social Sciences, 7(5), 776-785.
- Black, P., & Wiliam, D. (2009). Developing the theory of formative assessment. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability, 21, 5-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11092-008-9068-5
- Basetty, M., Dayananda P, Niranjanamurthy, M, Pardeep, K. & Munish, S. (2021). Outcome-based Education for Computer Science in E-learning through Moodle. Palarch’s Journal Of Archaeology Of Egypt/Egyptology, 17(9).
- Blokhovtsova, G. G., Malikova, T. L. & Simonenko, A. A. (2016). Perspektivy razvitiya distantsionnogo obucheniya [Prospects for the development of distance learning]. Novaya nauka: Strategii i vektory razvitiya, 118(3), 89-92.
- Brown, D. H. (1990). Language assessment: Principles and classroom practices. London: Longman
- Cahapay, M. B. (2020). Rethinking education in the new Normal post-COVID-19 era: A curriculum studies perspective. Aqua, 4(1), 1-5. https://doi.org/10.29333/aquademia/8315
- Chen, Z., Jiao, J., & Hu, K. (2021). Formative assessment as an online instruction intervention: Student engagement, outcomes, and perceptions. International Journal of Distance Education Technologies, 19(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.4018/IJDET.20210101.oa1
- De Santos-Berbel, C., Hernando García, J. I. & De Santos Berbel, L. (2022). Undergraduate Student Performance in a Structural Analysis Course: Continuous Assessment before and after the COVID-19 Outbreak. Education Sciences, 12(8), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci12080561
- Frehywot, S., Vovides, Y., Talib, Z., Nadia, M., Heather, R., Wohltjen, H., Bedada, S., Korhumel, K. Karim Koumare, A. & Scott, J. (2013). E-learning in medical education in resource constrained low-and middle-income countries. Human Resources for Health, 11(4), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1478-4491-11-4
- Gill, B. (2015). Talking about the elephant in the room: Improving fundamental assessment practices. Student Success, 6(2), 53-63. https://doi.org/10.5204/ssj.v6i2.291
- Gikandi, J. W., Morrow, D., & Davis, N. E. (2011). Online formative assessment in higher education: A review of the literature. Computers & Education, 57, 2333-2351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2011.06.004
- Hijril, I., Aceng, R. & Emzir, E. (2020). The Effect of Moodle E-Learning Material on EFL Reading Comprehension. International Journal of Multicultural and Multireligious Understanding, 7(10), 120-129. http://dx.doi.org/10.18415/ijmmu.v7i10.2069
- Hrdličková, Z. (2018). Improving Reading Skills Using On-Line Newspapers and Magazines. Lingua et Vita, 14, 75-84. https://linguaetvita.sk/archiv-vydani/lingua-et-vita-14-2018
- Ifinedo, P. (2018). Roles of perceived fit and perceived individual learning support in students' weblogsvcontinuance usage intention. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, 15(7). https://doi.org/10.1186/s41239-018-0092-3
- Khalaf, K., El-Kishawi, M., Moufti, M. A. & Al Kawas, S. (2020). Introducing a comprehensive high-stake online exam to final-year dental students during the COVID-19 pandemic and evaluation of its effectiveness. Medical Education Online, 25(1). https://doi.org/10.1080/10872981.2020.1826861
- Kinzie, J. (2020). How to reorient assessment and accreditation in the time of Covid-19 disruption? Assessment Update, 32(4), 4-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/au.30219
- Kearney S. (2013). Improving engagement: the use of ‘authentic self-and peer-assessment for learning’ to enhance the student learning experience. Assess Eval High Educ, 38(7), 875-891. https://doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2012.751963
- König, J., Jäger-Biela, D. J., & Glutsch, N. (2020). Adapting to online teaching during COVID-19 school closure: Teacher education and teacher competence effects among early career teachers in Germany. European Journal of Teacher Education, 43, 608-622. https://doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2020.1809650
- Milenkova, V. & Manov, B. (2022). Digital Transformation in Education in Knowledge Society. In Zhang, Y. D., Senjyu, T., So-In, C. & Joshi, A. (eds), Smart Trends in Computing and Communications. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, 286 (pp. 31-39). Singapor: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-16-4016-2_4
- Morozova, A. L., Byzina, Y. N., Trostina, K. V. & Godina, D. K. (2020). Information Technologies in Foreign Language Education. European Journal of Contemporary Education, 9(4), 827-838. https://doi.org/10.13187/ejced.2020.4.827
- Oltra-Massuet, I., Alvarez-Morera, G., Fullana, C. (2022). Flipped exams as a reliable and formative assessment tool in higher education: Report of a Covid-19 methodological innovation. In Karpava, S. (ed.), Handbook of Research on Teacher and Student Perspectives on the Digital Turn in Education (pp. 237-263). Hershey: IGI Global. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-6684-4446-7.ch012
- Omar, S. N. Z., Musa, R., Mohamad, M., Che Cob, C. M. S., Othman, A. Y. & Ramli, R. (2022). Efficiency of Online Learning during Covid-19 Pandemic. WSEAS Transactions on Business and Economics, 20, 30-39. https://doi.org/10.37394/23207.2023.20.4
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). (2020). Education responses to COVID-19: Embracing digital learning and online collaboration. Retrieved November 12, 2022 from http://www.oecd.org/coronavirus/policy-responses/education-responses-to-covid-19-embracing-digital-learning-and-online-collaboration-d75eb0e8/
- Ruggeri, K., Farrington, C., & Brayne, C. (2013). A global model for effective use and evaluation of e- learning in health. Telemedicine and E-Health, 19(4), 312-321. https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2012.0175
- Shaaban, S. S. A. & Jalambo, M. (2022). The Effect of TEFL Course Moodle Activities in Developing Student-Teachers’ Pedagogical Knowledge and Teaching Practices. In Janusz Kacprzyk (Ed.), Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, 495 (pp. 192-201). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-08954-1_17
- Sivakumar, R. (2019). Google Forms in Education. Journal of Contemporary Educational Research and Innovations, 9(1), 35-39.
- Sokolova, A. & Ševečková, M. (2019). Electronic Textbooks: New Challenges. Lingua et Vita, 15, 85-95. https://linguaetvita.sk/www_write/files/issues/2019/15/d_08_85az95_dmj_seveckova_152019.pdf
- Svensäter, G. & Rohlin, M. (2022). An assessment model blending formative and summative assessments using the SOLO taxonomy. European Journal Of Dental Education. https://doi.org/10.1111/eje.12787
- Štefančík, R. & Stradiotová, E. (2020). Using Web 2.0 Tool Podcast in Teaching Foreign Languages. Advanced Education, 14, 46-55. https://doi.org/10.20535/2410-8286.198209
- Tarasova, O., Bykov, A., Likhouzova, T. & Petunina, I. (2022). Engineering Education and Learning outside the Classroom through MOOCs: Student Assessment. EM Journal, 11(1), 463-471, https://doi.org/10.18421/TEM111-59.
- Trumbull, E., & Lash, A. (2013). Understanding formative assessment: Insights from learning theory and measurement theory. San Francisco: WestEd.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). (2020). Global Monitoring of School Closures caused by COVID-19. Retrieved November 9, 2022, from https://en.unesco.org/covid19/educationresponse.
- Van der Spoel, I., Noroozi, O., Schuurink, E., & Van Ginkel, S. (2020). Teachers' online teaching expectations and experiences during the Covid19-pandemic in The Netherlands. European Journal of Teacher Education, 43, 623-638. https://doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2020.1821185
- Veugen, M. J., Gulikers, J. T. M., & den Brok, P. (2021). We agree on what we see: Teacher and student perceptions of formative assessment practice. Studies in Educational Evaluation, 70, 101027. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.stueduc.2021.101027
- Veugen, M. J., Gulikers, J. T. M., & den Brok, P. (2022). Secondary school teachers' use of online formative assessmentduring COVID-19 lockdown: Experiences and lessons learned. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 38(5), 1465-1481. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcal.12699
- Zhou, S., Zhu, H. & Zhou, Y. (2022): Impact of Teenage EFL Learners’ Psychological Needs on Learning Engagement and Behavioral Intention in Synchronous Online English Courses. Sustainability, 14, 10468. https://doi.org/10.3390/su141710468
- Zou, M., Kong, D. & Lee, I. (2021). Teacher Engagement with Online Formative Assessment in EFL Writing During COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of China. Asia-Paciﬁc Edu Res, 30(6), 487-498. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40299-021-00593-7
- Zubro, T. (2018). Actual Trends in Education in the European Union. In Piałucha, M. et al. (ed.), Modern Management: Logistics and Education: Monograph (pp. 91-106). Opole: Wyższa szkoła zarządzania i administracji w Opolu.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Eva Stradiotová , Ildiko Némethová, Radoslav Štefančík
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).