CONCEPTUAL METAPHORS IN AMERICAN JOURNALISTIC TEXTS
Keywords:concept, conceptual metaphor, American journalistic texts, function, national picture of the world
AbstractThe article is dedicated to representation and functions of tropes in American journalistic texts, their semantic and cognitive features. The figurative language under analysis is a reflection of American politicians’ language, in particular their everyday metaphors. Not only do we examine the main aspects of figurative language associated with aquatic habitat used by American politicians in public discourse, but we also rely upon an approach based on conceptual metaphor theory when we analyse and classify conceptual metaphors related to water. The object of cognitive analysis is political texts in American newspapers and magazines. The author provides a linguistic analysis of conceptual metaphors, their functions and application. Metaphors serve as indicators of functional changes in American English. Cognitive aspects of metaphors are being discussed. According to the theory of cognitive linguistics, a metaphor is an integral part of the cognitive process and an instrument that expresses and forms new notions. American politicians often use metaphors to affect the unconscious minds of the people. The research results show that the most frequently used conceptual metaphors in the analysed corpora are the linguistic realisations of metaphors from the source domain of aquatic habitat. All the metaphors of this group are classified into subgroups according to the key semantic component. A deep consideration is given to aquatic metaphors and reasons of their topicality.
- Allison, G.T. (2017, August 22). Playing Chicken With China. The Wall Street Journal, A11.
- Andersson, J. (2011). Metaphors in writing. A study on metaphor usage in the online sports sections of two British newspapers (Bachelor’s thesis). Retrieved March 11, 2018, from DIVA portal https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:423749/ FULLTEXT01.pdf
- Beer, Francis A. & de Landtsheer, Christ’l (Eds.) (2004). Metaphorical World Politics. MI: Michigan State University Press. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9221.2006.00512.x
- Bischoff, Shannon, & Carmen, Jany (Eds.) (2013). Functional approach to Language. Berlin, Boston: Walter de Gruyter.
- Bougher, Lori D. (2012). The case for metaphor in political reasoning and cognition. Political Psychology, 33 (1), 145-163. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9221.2011.00865.x
- Bruner, Jerome (1990). Acts of Meaning. Cambridge, MA.; London: Harvard University Press.
- Cammaerts, Bart (2012). The strategic use of metaphors by political and media elites: the 2007-11 Belgian constitutional crisis. International journal of media & cultural politics, 8 (2/3), 229-249. https://doi.org/10.1386/macp.8.2-3.229_1
- Camp, E. (2006). Metaphor in the Mind: The Cognition of Metaphor. Philosophy Compass, 1/2, 154-170. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-9991.2006.00013.x
- Chadwick, A. (2017). The Hybrid Media System. Politics and Power. N. Y.: Oxford University Press.
- Charteris-Black, J. & Ennis, T. (2001). A comparative study of metaphor in Spanish and English financial reporting. English for Specific Purposes, 20(3), 249-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-4906(00)00009-0
- Christian, E.S. (2013, July). Cognitive Biases and Errors as Cause – and Journalistic Best Practices as Effect. Journal of Mass Media Ethics. Exploring Questions of Media Morality, 28(3), 160-174. https://doi.org/10.1080/08900523.2013.794674
- Chudinov A.P.(2001). Rossija v metaforicheskom zerkale: Kognitivnoe issledovanie politicheskoj metafory (1991-2000)[Russia in a metaphoric mirror: cognitive study of political metaphor (1991-2000)].Ekaterinburg: Izd-vo Ural'sk. gos. ped. un-ta.
- Civ'jan T.V.(1990). Lingvisticheskie osnovy balkanskoj modeli mira [Linguistic basis of Balkan model of the world]. Moscow, Russia: Nauka.
- Cohen, B.C. (2016). The Press and Foreign Policy. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Covecses, Zoltan (2010). Metaphor and culture. Acta Universitatis Sapientiae, Philologica, 2(2), 197-220. https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780190224868.003.0005
- Dalton, G. (2017, August 22). Putting the Bell on North Korean Nuclear Cat. The Wall Street Journal, p. A10.
- Elleström, L. (Ed.) (2010). The Modalities of Media: A Model for Understanding Intermedial Relations. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Esager, M. (2011). Fire and Water: a comparative analysis of conceptual metaphors in English and Danish news articles about the credit crisis 2008 (Bachelor’s thesis). Retrieved March 5, 2018, from http://pure.au.dk/portal/files/40317984/Fire _and_Water.pdf
- Fuhrmans, V., Lublin, J. and Glazer, E. (2017, August 22). Trump and the CEOs: A Soured Partnership. The Wall Street Journal, A6.
- Gak, V.G. (1998). Jazykovye preobrazovanija [Language transformations]. Moscow, Russia: Jazyki russkoj kul'tury.
- Gardner, S., & Alsop, S. (Eds.)(2016). Systemic Functional Linguistics in the Digital Age. London: Equinox Publishing.
- Gibbs, R.W. (2017). Metaphor Wars. Conceptual metaphors in human life. N.Y.: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781107762350
- Graber, D.A., Dunaway, J. (2018). Mass Media and American Politics. Washington, D.C.: CQ Press.
- Gravengaard, G. (2012, November 1). The metaphors journalists live by: Journalists’ conceptualization of newswork. SAGE Journals, 13 (8), 1064-1082. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464884911433251
- Gunter, B. (2015). The Cognitive Impact of Television News: production attributes and information reception. N.Y.: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137468826
- Hjelmgaard, K. (2018, March 2). Meet the Syrian refugees abandoning Europe for trump’s America. USA Today. Retrieved March, 11, 2018 from https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/03/02/meet-syrian-refugees-abandoning-europe-trumps-america/372114002
- Jackendoff, R.S.(1990). Semantics and Cognition. Massachusetts: The MIT Press.
- Jackendoff, R.S.(1994). Patterns in Mind. Language and Human Nature. N.Y.: Basic Books.
- Jamali, N. (2017, August 23). Donald Trump, Russia and Why The President Would Make a Terrible Spy. Newsweek. Retrieved March, 11, 2018 from http://www.newsweek.com/trump-russia-putin-spies-mueller-probe-steele-investigation-cia-fbi-moscow-653961
- Jing-Schmidt, Zh. (2008). Much mouth much tongue: Chinese metonymies and metaphors of verbal behavior. Cognitive Linguistics, 19(2), 241-282. https://doi.org/10.1515/COG.2008.010
- Jiri, P. (2015, June). Strategy and Manipulation Tools of Crisis Communication in Printed Media. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 191 (2), 2161-2168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.04.294
- Kane, P. (2018, February 1). The new Republican model: strong defenders of President Trump. The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com
- Keefer, L. A., & Landau, M. J. (2016). Metaphor and analogy in everyday problem solving. WIREs Cognitive Science, 7 (6), 394‐405. https://doi.org/10.1002/wcs.1407
- Kövecses, Z. (2000). Metaphor and Emotion. Language, Culture, and Body in Human Feeling. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Krennmayr, T. (2011). Metaphors in Newspapers (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved March 12, 2018, from DSpace. (Accession No. 334468337).
- Kubrjakova, E.S. (1986). Nominativnyj aspekt rechevoj dejatel'nosti [Nominative aspect of speech activity]. Moscow: Nauka.
- Lakoff, G., and Johnson, М. (1980). Metaphors We Live By. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Lakoff, G. (2008). The Political Mind: Why You Can’t Understand 21st Century American Politics with an 18th Century Brain. New York: Viking.
- Levickij, A.Je. (2001). Funkcional’naja pereorientacija nominativnyh edinic sovremennogo anglijskogo jazyka [Functional reorientation of nominative units of modern English]. Zhitomir: Izd-vo ZhGPU.
- Liu, F. (2018). Lexical metaphor as affiliative bond in newspaper editorials: a systemic functional linguistics perspective. Functional Linguisitcs, 5(2), 2-14. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40554-018-0054-z
- Meichtry, S., Troianovski, A. & Walker, M. (2017, August 22). Europe’s Populists Rethink EU Skepticism. The Wall Street Journal, p. A8.
- Nazaryan, A. (2017, November 15). Can Fox New Survive The Trump Presidency? Embattled Network Faces Lawsuits, Aging Viewership, New Competitors. Newsweek. Retrieved from http://www.newsweek.com/2017/11/24/fox-news-survive-trump-presidency-lawsuits-aging-viewership-competition-712543.html
- Nazaryan, A. (2017, November 10). Trump is Leading the Most corrupt Administration in U.S. History, One of first Kleptocrats. Newsweek. Retrieved from http://www.newsweek.com/2017/11/10/trump-administration-most-corrupt-history-698935.html
- Nuyts, J. (2012). Cognitive Linguistics and Functional Linguistics. In D. Geeraerts and H. Cuyckens (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Cognitive Linguistics (pp.543-565). Oxford: Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199738632.013.0020.
- Otani, A. (2017, July 28-30). Telecom Sector is at Risk of Extinction. The Wall Street Journal, p. B5.
- Pavilenis, R.I.(1983). Problema smysla: sovremennyj logiko-filosofskij analiz jazyka [The Problem of meaning: modern logical and philosophical analysis of the language]. Moscow: Mysl'.
- Powell, B. (2017, October 16). War with North Korea: will Trump make a deal with China to save the world? Newsweek. Retrieved from http://www.newsweek.com/2017/10/27/trump-china-deal-nuclear-north-korea-684633.html
- Poliuzhyn, M.M. (1999). Funktsional'nyj i kohnityvnyj aspekty anhlijs'koho slovotvorennia [Functional and cognitive aspects of English word formation]. Uzhhorod: Zakarpattia.
- Schmitt, R. (2005). Systematic Metaphor Analysis as a Method of Qualitative Research. The Qualitative Report, 10 (2), 358-394. Retrieved March 12, 2018, from https://nsuworks.nova.edu/tqr/vol10/iss2/10
- Seib, G. (2017, August 22). Stay or go? All sides pressure Trump aides. The Wall Street Journal, p. A2.
- Sen, A. (2011, June).The Role of the Media and Communication. In A. Sen (Ed.), Peace and democratic society (pp. 95-100). Cambridge: Open Book Publishers. doi: 10.11647/OBP.0014
- Serazhym K.S. (2002). Dyskurs iak sotsiolinhval'ne iavysche: metodolohiia, arkhitektonika, variatyvnist'. (Na materialakh suchasnoi hazetnoi publitsystyky) [Discurs as a social and lingual phenomenon: methodology, structure and variety] / Za red. V. Rizuna. K.: Vyd-vo KNU im. T.H. Shevchenka.
- Simonovic, S.P. (2009). Managing Water Resources: methods and tools for a systems approach. Paris: UNESCO Publishing.
- Simon-Vandenbergen, A.-M. (1995). Assessing Linguistic Behaviour: A Study of Value Judgements. In Louis Goossens, Paul Pauwels, Brygida Rudzka-Ostyn, Anne-Marie SimonVandenbergen, and Johan Vanparys (Eds.), By Word of Mouth: Metaphor, Metonymy, and Linguistic Action in Cognitive Perspective (pp.71-124). Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- Stein, J. (2017, November 14). Mueller vs. Trump: Papandopoulos is the ‘Big One,’ not Manafort, Ex-CIA Director Michael Hayden Says. Newsweek. Retrieved March 12, 2018 from http://www.newsweek.com/2017/11/17/michael-hayden-donald-trump-russia-vladamir-putin-paul-manafort-george-702085.html
- Stein, J. (2017, November 10). Pressure from Trump on Russia may be bending CIA, former analysts say. Newsweek. Retrieved from http://www.newsweek.com/2017/12/01/trump-pompeo-russia-hacks-binney-cia-iran-slam-dunk-tenet-708372.html
- Sternadori, M. (2008). Cognitive processing of news as a function of structure: a comparison between inverted pyramid and chronology (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved March 12, 2018, from MOspace. (Accession No. umo.10355.6643), http://hdl.handle.net/10355/6643
- Telija, V.N.(1986). Konnotativnyj aspekt semantiki nominativnyh edinic [Connotative aspect of nominative units semantics]. Moscow: Nauka.
- Thomas, A., Troianovski, A., & Levin, N. (2017, July 28-30). German-Turkish Relations Worsen. The Wall Street Journal, p. A3.
- Ungerer, F., & Schmid, H.J. (2015). An Introduction to Cognitive Linguistics. London, New York: Routledge.
- Vaishampayan, S. & Glynn, J. (2017, July 28-30). Dollar’s Decline Bedevils Global Central Bankers. The Wall Street Journal, p. B7.
- Verny, Th. & Kelly, J. (1981). The Secret Life of the Unborn Child. New York: Dell Publishing.
- Whorf, B.L. (1956). The Relation of Habital Thought and Behavior to Language. In B.L. Whorf (Ed.), Language, thought and reality (pp.134-159). Cambridge: Technology Press of MIT.
How to Cite
Khudoliy, A. (2018). CONCEPTUAL METAPHORS IN AMERICAN JOURNALISTIC TEXTS. Advanced Education, 5(10), 175–184. https://doi.org/10.20535/2410-8286.130817
Copyright (c) 2018 Anatoliy Khudoliy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).