Equivalence translation of phraseological synonyms.
Keywords:phraseological synonyms, translation equivalence, phraseological synonymy, comparative aspect, phraseological translation, non-phraseological translation
This article is devoted to phraseological English synonyms, interchangeability and translation equivalence. This paper examines the state of the phenomenon of synonymy in phraseology at present, classifies phraseological units and phraseological synonyms in particular, common translation techniques of idiomatic synonyms, according to different levels of equivalence. The scientific relevance of the work is a synthesis of the linguistic nature of phraseological synonyms, as well as organizing methods of translation. The object of the research, thus, is English and Ukrainian phraseological synonyms. Its subject comprises peculiarities of translation of those synonyms from English into Ukrainian. Phraseological synonyms are those units whose values are close, but thanks to the stylistic and semantic nuances they can be distinguished. Phraseological synonyms are those, with similar meanings, and as a rule, they correlate with the same part of speech, which have partially similar or identical lexical-phraseological compatibility, but are different in meaning, stylistic nuance. This article summarizes different ways of translation of phraseological synonyms from English to Ukrainian, namely phraseological (full phraseological equivalent, partial equivalent and individual equivalent) non-phraseological (lexical translation, calquing, descriptive translation, contextual or selective translation). The purpose of using idiomatic translation is to reproduce the full equivalent in target language.
- Vinogradov V.V. Osnovnye ponjatija russkoj frazeologii kak lingvisticheskoj discipliny [The main concepts of Russian phraseology as linguistic discipline]. Moscow, 1977. – P. 118-139.
- Dems'kij M.G. Sistemnі zv’jazki u sferі frazemіki [System links in sphere of phrasemics].1991. – P. 36-43.
- Kunin A.V.Kurs frazeologii sovremennogo anglijskogo jazyka [The course of modern English phraseology]. Moscow, Vysshaja shkola Publ., 1986. 336 p.
- Krupnov V. N. Leksikograficheskie aspekty perevoda [Lexicographical aspects of translation]. Moscow, Vysshaja shkola Publ, 1987. 192 p.
- Litvinov, P.P. 3500 anglijskih frazeologizmov i ustojchivyh slovosochetanij [3500 of English phraseological units and fixed collocation]. Moscow, Astrel': ACT, 2007. 285 p.
- Cowie A.P. Oxford dictionary of English idioms. Oxford: Oxford university press, 1993. 685 p.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Advanced Education
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).